You can read part 1 here...
I don’t want to keep harping on about whether I should move Rusty or not, but I do want to document my thought process here. Also, I wanted to thank everyone for their comments, suggestions and support. I knew you guys would be a great sounding board for this issue!
One thing that is bugging me a bit about my current barn is that I can’t let anyone besides me even sit on my horse. Not a huge deal, but we have a few friends with kids that would love to visit Rusty. I just have to say no now to keep things simple. Other barns I have been at just require me to sign a waiver and I can do what I want with my horse (except teach other people, which I am ok with).
Stephanie asked what I want to do with my horse(s) in the future – and to be honest – I have no idea anymore. I think I may like to try some fun shows later on, but in the short term, I just want to ride without any pressure. Now, this pressure has all been created by me at this point – no one is pressuring or pushing me to do anything. So, I will need a new horse for those future goals, but it won’t be for a couple of years at this point. That will give me time to save up some money and refine my riding skills a bit and see where that takes me. I’m sure Rusty will be ready for retirement in a couple of years anyway, so that might be the best option for me right now.
I’ve come to terms with my situation a bit better this past week. Thanks to your helpful comments, I’m letting go of the guilt. I’ve realized that it is ok to change barns and/or focus. My current barn worked out well for me at the time, but I just don’t think it does anymore.
Broaching the subject with my BO is the tough part – I don’t like springing big news on people – it always makes me nervous. I don’t want to be judged or criticized for my decision, so I’m dreading that a bit. I’m hoping that she will understand and that I can leave on good terms. By moving to another barn, I will be saving at least $100, which I can then apply to lessons. I’m hoping to take lessons with her over the fall/winter using one of her horses, so I can work on learning more without the pressure of doing the lessons on Rusty and being frustrated.
On that note, I think it is safe to say that I have decided to move Rusty. I’ve been researching barns in the area and have two on my short list. Both have most of the qualities I am looking for this time around:
• Cheaper board, without compromising care
• Trails and hay fields to ride on
• People to ride with
• Within a 30 minute drive from home
• Not too busy with kids doing lessons
• Lessons available (although not from a certified instructor)
• Flexible – ie I can bring my own coach, vet, farrier, as well as let other people ride my horse a bit
One barn is the place I was at before. Some of you may remember that I moved Rusty away from there because he was being badly picked on in small overcrowded (IMO) paddock. I sent out a tentative email to the BO there and asked if the amount of horses she boarded had decreased a bit and if Rusty could be turned out in a smaller group. This is possible at the moment, but she couldn’t guarantee that it would stay that way. So, that raised a bit of a flag for me.
I visited a second barn last weekend and the property is really nice. They have 100 acres (which is pretty big for the immediate area near me). It is all trails and they are working on cutting more trails every year. Right now, they have about 5 miles of trails, roads and fields to ride on. That is pretty enticing to me! Another perk about this place is that it is on the same quiet dead-end gravel road as two other stables. One is a fancy-ish dressage stable and the other focuses on eventing and jumping. It is possible to take lessons at the eventing barn in their indoor arena over the winter and to use their facilities outdoors – which include a half-mile track and cross-country course. Now, I hope you guys are chuckling a bit at that – because I can’t really see Rusty and me galloping the track or jumping much of anything, but it is nice to have some options!
So, the end to this somewhat long and drawn-out story is that I’m going to make a move. I’m going to go visit the second barn again on Saturday to make sure I still get a good vibe from the place. The move probably won’t happen until June 1, due to giving proper notice and all, but I think it is going to happen!