Thursday, June 06, 2013

Show Prep – I’m a mess!

This year I plan to do a series of 4 club shows. If those shows go well, then I’m going to try the rookie day at the bigger AQHA show in late July. Club shows don’t really require the same level of fancy show tack/clothing as the breed shows, but I still needed to get my tack sorted out. I'm a total gear junky, so this was a great opportunity excuse for me to acquire more stuff!

I had been planning on searching for a used show saddle and was able to find one that worked from another boarder at the barn down the road. The fenders were too long for me, so the saddle was sent off to our somewhat local western saddle guy to be modified. I think I’ll be able to borrow a show bridle from the same girl, so that is a bit of an expense saved.

I also wanted to have a separate set of brushes and grooming supplies to take to shows. It just seemed easier to have separate sets of stuff (and another excuse to buy more!).

I know a lot of people that show keep a set of tack/grooming supplies in their trailers, so you don’t have to worry as much about forgetting things. My short term plan is to buy a big tool box on wheels and use that as my show kit, but for now I'm just using a big tupperware bin. It should be fairly easy to put in my car/SUV along with the rest of my tack.

I also bought a snazzy saddle protector, hanging bridle/halter bag and a western hat protector. And they all match! I clearly have a problem – but I’m ok with that.

I spent a large amount of time googling horse show packing checklists and found lots of great examples. I took inspiration from those lists and created a list that I can print out before each show and check off as things are organized.

Here are a few samples:
I am expecting to be a mess of nerves for the first couple of shows since I haven’t done this in a lonnnnng time and I haven’t taken Spencer off the property to a busy venue yet. I’m hoping that by having all of my gear organized as best I can it will take away one worry of not having something I need. I’m sure there will be a few things that I won’t think of to bring, but that is part of the learning experience, I guess!

I started writing this post a few weeks ago and in re-reading it today, I had to laugh that I wrote: “I am expecting to be a mess of nerves for the first couple of shows…”. I should have written that I will be (and currently am!) a mess of nerves for three weeks leading up to the shows as well as at the show itself!! lol


Now that I’m coming down the wire, I realized last night that I have to firm up trailering arrangements (done!), send in my show entry (done!), and finish sorting out my tack. I still need a couple of things, including chaps. I’ve ordered a couple of pairs, so hopefully I can squeeze into one pair!

We are going to band Spencer’s mane the night before the show and I will have to practice doing it myself over the coming weeks. My coach is judging the first show (in in 11 days!!!!), so I will be on my own! Hopefully some of the other people I know will be around if I have a meltdown and need some help. :-)

OK – I’m off to go check my stuff for the 100th time and get some things done so I can try (ha!) to relax.

4 comments:

Once Upon an Equine said...

Good luck. You are well organized and that will help. I like your big-tool-box for grooming supplied. I use one as an equine first aid kit. It's nice to be able to wheel those things around.

RuckusButt said...

I second the idea of getting separate grooming supplies for shows. My kit is very basic at the moment, just a portable grooming bag, new hoof pick (w brush), new med/soft body brush, and a microfibre mitt thing. These things can be washed when needed and you will have time for them to dry between shows.

If there is one thing I can say it's that the "essentials" are a lot more flexible than you'd think. Attention to detail is important, but any omission can fairly easily be dealt with (by observing others). The biggest challenge is working out the schedule for bathing, braiding, packing, cleaning, etc. The rest just happens :-)

You are going to surprise yourself with how well everything comes together, I know you will!

Anonymous said...

I love organizing and packing for shows!! You have a great start and I am sure you will do well! The best thing for show nerves is to tell yourself to just have fun and create a good experience for your horse. When I take the "pressure" off myself, that is when I seem to do the best! :-) I cannot wait to hear all about it and see pics!!

(On a side note: Are you allowed to show under a judge who is also your coach? Just something I thought of when reading this, since that is not allowed here.)

Laura said...

STB Eventer - at a little club show it is ok. Probably not ok at a recognized event.