Monday, November 14, 2011

Preparing for Winter



Dolly getting a bit fuzzy

While I don’t like using the “W” word, the harsh reality is that it is fast approaching. We have had a few weeks of unseasonably warm weather (it is 14C/57F today) and it spoiled us all a bit, I think. Thanks to daylight savings, it is now noticeably darker and with the darkness, it just seems colder! The warm refreshing breezes of late summer have changed as well - the wind is now chilly and strips trees bare of their leaves and has people zipping up their jackets as they walk.

The horses are working hard at building up their winter coats and it is time for me to start switching over my gear. I don’t have a ton of room to store stuff at the barn – I’m sure they would give me more room if I asked nicely, but taking stuff home hasn’t really been a problem so far. This week I packed up my extra buckets, shampoo, scrapers, fly spray and fly masks and took it all home. I have to dig out a wool cooler out of my tack trunk for Dolly – she tends to get herself all hot and sweaty sometimes, so now that the temps have dropped, I need to have something to cover her with until she dries off and cools down.

I miss how easy things are in the summer – just hose down the horse, scrape and viola! Not this time of year though. I was thinking of clipping Dolly (I think horses look neat with hunter or trace clips!) but I just can't see myself riding enough to justify the effort. I also have to suck it up and buy her a winter blanket. I would try and get her through the winter without one, but the paddocks at my barn don't have shelters (which I could rant about if I so chose...but I won't), so the horses really need something to break the wind a bit and keep them dry.

I also have to dig out my various winter riding gloves, tights and warmer under layers. I always resist getting out my warmer clothes and jackets, because doing so means that colder weather is really here!

I have some new winter gear to try out this year as well - I bought a pair of Elation soft shell breeches and a pair of Mountain Horse Rimfrost paddock boots. These paddock boots have chunkier soles than my regular riding boots, but it shouldn't be a problem with my western or endurance stirrups...I hope! I'll report in later this winter on how I like this new gear. Cold feet are no fun and last year my Blundstones just weren't warm enough, even with big wool socks and warm insoles.

Annnd, because we all spend so much cash on gear etc. for us and our horses, I thought I would leave you with this most excellent cartoon:

7 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

Love that cartoon. There used to be a t-shirt with that logo on it. Sorry I didn't get it now, because I can't find it anywhere.

We've been starting to winterize our farm and get everything ready. It's a pain. The only good thing about winter is no bugs but I think that's the best I can say about it.

cdncowgirl said...

We've had temps ranging just above & below 0 for a week or two now. Guess I've got to dig out my winter gear too. Thankfully I brought up the stuff that might freeze already.
I have a pair of the Mountain Horse winter boots, the tall 'English' style ones. They're warmer than my cowboy boots but still not really warm, so I'm on the lookout for a good pair.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Well.....it is often green when it comes out the other end. lol!

I've heard great things about Mountain Horse Winter Riding Wear. Those boots do look a bit clunky, but I bet your feet will stay toasty inside.
Perhaps you can also try pair of Tapaderos or Cozy Toes to keep your feet toasty warm, too. The Cozy Toes even have warmer packs you can insert inside, too!

~Lisa

Anonymous said...

I will be winterizing as soon as we get settled. You wouldn't think I'd need to, but I'm afraid of another cold winter and frozen pipes like last year. I'll probably not ride, as I don't really have anywhere to ride just yet, but I'll be stealing BP's wool lined duck boots again for barn chores. And I'm breaking out my Carhartt, even though it's still in the 70s here because I want to be able to find it easily when I do need it!

Once Upon an Equine said...

Good thinking to get your winter wardrobe ready before you desperately need it. It seems like the really extreme cold sneaks up so fast. Great cartoon.

Laura said...

We also have been fortunate to have great weather... OH MY ... Just checked... we are both from OTTAWA! cool

With this lovely weather I have been doing more riding and teaching. It is so great to have the opportunity to take advantage of this lovely weather. The footing is great and I REALLY LOVE... NOBUGS!!!

Not really looking forward to plugging the trough in and dusting off the winter boots, jacket and mittens. I'll be thinking of you whent he snow flies... which may be soon!

Laura

Laura said...

Hi Laura - thanks for commenting! Nice to have another Ottawa area person here! Yes, winter here is nasty - especially when trying to work outside!