Saturday, July 26, 2008

Rusty - another update

Rusty seems to be doing a bit better today. He is a bit brighter-eyed and not as lethargic. He gobbled up a big dish of beet pulp, got his medicine and then was turned out with some hay. He was actually eating the hay and not just pushing it around. I stuck around to watch him for about an hour to make sure he was eating a bit... I quite enjoy the sound of a horse munching on hay. I should've brought a book out with me. lol.

He still seems to be dropping weight though, so I've got a call into the vet to see if there is something else we can supplement his feed with that won't irritate his stomach.

I've been to two tack shops today to try and find a reasonably priced pair of black reins. I didn't think it would be that hard! I finally found a pair I liked at the tack shop that Iwas trialling saddles from. I also returned the saddle I don't want, as Iwas starting to get worried about having a new expensive saddle just lying around. I haven't paid for the new-t0-me saddle that I have, since the owner wasn't there to calculate the trade on my old saddle. This whole process seems to be taking a while, but the shop is quite local, so it's not that big of a deal.

More updates to come as I learn more. Hope everyone has a nice weekend!

6 comments:

cdncowgirl said...

You posted the update for me right? lol

Regarding the reins... do certain colours of tack become more (or less) 'in style' in English riding? Maybe that's why its been difficult to find black reins. I don't really pay too much attention to English tack but I think that brown seems to be the norm. (at least recently)

Laura said...

Cdn - I posted that just for you! ;-p

Also helps me keep a record of what is going on.

Black english tack is mostly associated with dressage. The previous owners gave me his dressage bridle, so I've been using that...hence the need for black reins. Most english tack is various shades of brown.

cdncowgirl said...

Thanks for clearing that up. :)

20 meter circle of life said...

Funny when I cleaned my tack room today...6 pairs of black reins!! Feast or famine in the horse world. You could have got the fnancy colored rainbow ones!!
Glad he is feeling a bit better, we horse Mommies can be sure worry warts.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I love that sound of a horse munching hay as well. Not only does it mean the horse is healthy and happy, but the sound itself give me the tingles.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I'm so so so glad that Rusty is not on the 'emergency level' anymore. But I bet it muts be frustrating you to know he's not at the weight he should be and keeping it there.
I hope that you'll find the answers soon, and that they'll be simple and easy to implement.

I, too just love to sit in the barn and meditate while Baby Doll is munching her hay. Sometimes I stand beside her and she'll rub her face or ears softly against my leg while she's eating. I don't know if she means to do that, but she's very gentle and not pushy, and it makes me feel as if she likes me to be there with her.

Don't you just love having a good relationship with your local tack shops? Feels like home when you walk inside, when they are so happy to see you and know you by name.