Monday, June 23, 2008

Rainy Monday

It is pouring rain today - can't say that I mind, since I'm stuck indoors at work. It actually suits a Monday...

We had a great weekend - the rain held off for a change, so we did lots of stuff. Saturday morning we went to a local farmers market - we bought local spinach, honey, baked goods, flowers, spices and the best of all - a framed photo (from a local photographer, of course) of a handsome orange tabby cat sitting on an English saddle. It was at a reduced price, so I snapped it up. Luckily Richard humours me with my love of cats and horses and horse related things.

Hopefully Mr. Kitty and his lovely brown tabby coat won't be too put off by the new picture! lol I obviously need to get out more, before I end up a crazy cat lady with an embroidered cat vest and a cat purse or something! ;-)

I coaxed a friend of mine out to the barn Saturday afternoon to help me with saddle fit. Turns out ol' Rusty is quite wide, even with those high withers. I had a beautiful Santa Cruz AP saddle that was too narrow and the new Wintec that I had needs a wider gullet. My friend brought out her wintec with a super-wide gullet and it fit the best, but just a little too wide. I rode for a bit and she gave me a mini-lesson, which helped alot with my position. I learned alot from my friend - tips to work on my riding position AND which gullet I need to purchase. I need to head out to the tack shop after work and then we should be good to go in the saddle department. Now I just might need to go out and buy a new black saddle pad - we need the boy to look all snazzy, don't we?!?

I spent most of the day outdoors yesterday as well - firstly cheering Richard on at a duathlon (he got 11th out of 78 people and 3rd in his age group!) and then having lunch and time on the dock by the river with Richard's cousin, his girlfriend and her teenage son (who looks like Shia LaBeouf!) I even managed to get a bit of sun...which just makes me look all pink.

I'm looking forward to getting in a few good rides this week - Mr. Rusty has had a bito f a break.

What is everyone else up to???

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Ahhh yes welcome to my current world of tack shopping...

Same stuff I was up to last week. Saddle shopping - and I think I may have lost my futurity winnings check from last week (totally freaking out about it) so I am kind of stressing right now. Need that cash to buy a saddle...

Denise- LessIsMore17 said...

We had a bit of rain today, but it was the big raindrops that remind me of bird droppings hitting my windsheild :-X Didn't last long.
Now I'm drinking a very strong strawberry daquari shopping for joint supps for Lester :-)
I finally got my Wintec "fitted" about 2 years ago, good thing she said it "fit" ;-)

Anonymous said...

I stayed at work late, then took a nice long walk in a park. Now I'm trying to get through an edit of a work project before going to bed, but am reading blogs instead. Sigh. I'm already feeling a little irritated that my week is filling up with stuff this week so there won't be much time for riding.

cdncowgirl said...

I went barrel racing saturday and then to work. Sunday morning I drove up to Edmonton to visit my sister and the new baby. Staying here until Tuesday evening. Can't wait to see my ponies again on wednesday! Taking lots of pictures and doing some shopping. :)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Mucked out the barn, oiled my saddle and bridle, swept out the tack room, cleaned out a rabbit hutch I want to rebuild as mini-henhouse, sat outside in Baby Doll's paddock for about an hour hoping to relax, except Baby Doll kept pestering me for scratches.

Was kind of nice, though, being the center of attention....or at last it felt that way to me.
But maybe Baby Doll tricked me?

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Congratulations on your new appy fella. He's a cutie.

Jen

Dressage Nomad said...

Good luck! I just went through saddle fitting with my wide mare and ended up having to go the semi-custom route. Just make sure you try lots of different saddles to ensure it fits the horse and *you*. I was amazed at the difference between a saddle that fits me compared to one that just fit my horse. I no longer had to struggle with my position, it was just there. I hope your saddle fit doesn't take too long, make sure you check out tack stores that ship saddles for trials too (Equus Now and Rick's Heritage Saddlery do) also, I know that Duett makes saddles geared toward wide horses so you might want to check with them. I think they also have a generous trial policy.

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

I had no idea that fitting an english saddle could be so difficult until Megan and I really got into it. I finally found her a saddle that fit her perfectly-I had no idea that the flaps came in different lengths-LOL and am just hoping it fits at least a couple of the horses that we have.

Summer is officially here-we have been so busy with horses and projects. Doesn't feel like I am making a dent though. I have 4 horses to break to ride this year and haven't even been getting to the groundwork yet. I am hoping that it dries up around here somewhat so the noseflies go away.

We did get to go to a horse show on Sunday, I have a barrel racing tonight and tomorrow is Megan's 4-H County Horse Show. Next week is another barrel racing and then it's off to ND for Meg to see her granny and I am headed to Colorado to spend the weekend with my honey. Whew!